On John's site http://simpleprogrammer.com/ I signed up for "How To Build A Blog That Will Boost Your Career" (http://devcareerboost.com/blog-course/ Again, it's free, and I don't get anything if you sign up.)
John's course takes you through:
- Deciding on a theme (mine is Understanding Yourself and Others to Improve your Dev Career)
- Easily creating an actual blog site using Wordpress + Bluehost (but if you want to use something else, or already have something, no problem)
- Creating a big backlog of blog topics
- Choosing and committing to a posting schedule, including when you are going to write (I'm going to publish every other Monday, writing on Sunday night)
- Generating traffic to your site without using anything scammy
- Marketing yourself
I like the course format. It comes out twice a week. Each email has a couple of homework assignments that require real work but are doable by the next email. I am really keeping up, and I tend to procrastinate some things like this.
Disclosure: Writing and publishing a post about the course is one of this week's homework assignments. It simply says to write a post about the course and include the links. I wrote the content without any input from him, he didn't see it before I published, and I don't get paid for it.